The Battle of Monceau-Imbrechies involved couples of companies from the 60th Infantry Regiment, and a German battalion-size force that was entrenched in and around the village of Macon, down the ridge of Imbrechies.
It was around 11:30 that Saturday, 2 September 1944, when the German artillery (116. Panzerdivision – Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 146) started to shell the ridge of Imbrechies where soldiers from Able Company – 60th Infantry were on position.
A German Command Car went up the hill and was immediately hit by a 9th Reconnaissance Troop’s M-8 Armored Car that was standing on the ridge. Four German soldiers were in this Kubelwagen. The two rear-passengers tried to hide in a ditch, but got killed by the .50 Cal of the M-8. The driver escaped the car to run away back to Macon, but the machine-gun hit him, and did cut one of his legs. The last passenger understood, and surrendered. He is taken prisoner, and the wounded driver as well but will die few hours later.
From this skirmish remained several relics.
The Kubelwagen‘s flag, which is a Wehrmacht one (most likely from a unit of the 116. Panzerdivision) stayed for days in the ditch where the car crashed, nearly intact still today.
A belt which seems to be a World War One German Army one, that was taken off the prisoner by members of the 60th Infantry Regiment.
SS Dogtags found on a killed SS after the battle, belonging to the SS 329, 8th Company, SS-Regiment Deutschland, 2nd SS Panzerdivision.
A SS garrison cap found in the village of Macon, down the hill.
Finally, the Prisoner Tag, written by a soldiers of the 60th Infantry Regiment, that finally stayed on the ridge before locals found it and preserved it.