The 9th Infantry Division has been created on 18 July 1918 to be send over Europe, but was never deployed and got disbanded on 15 February 1919. Few years later, the war in Europe seems closer and closer, and the U.S. Army starts to develop its troops and material. It's in this framework that the Army activate the 9th Infantry Division, on 1 August 1940, in Fort Bragg, North Carolina. This date starts the birth of one of the best outfits in the U.S. Armed Forces in the African and European Theater of Operations, taking part to eigth campaigns in the fight against Germany...
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of the 9th Infantry Division. This one is an early model, made on piece of wool patches.
When re-activated in Fort Bragg, the division was first organized according to the triangular U.S. Army doctrine, meaning that the tactical units should always be organized with three main components. The infantry division based its organization on three infantry regiments, supported by artillery units (three 105-mm battalions and one 155-mm battalion of field artillery) and a cavalry unit (a reconnaissance troop) to scout for the division. A combat engineer unit was supporting the infantry as well, in building bridge, clearing roads from mines, and any other tasks regarding the need of engineers. Eventually, a medical battalion was added to the division command, taking care of all the divisional personnel.
Members of the 34th Field Artillery Battalion training in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, 1942.
Of course, this huge bunch of fighters did need service support, hence the combat service support units under the command of the division, called special troops. Military police unit to ensure security; quartermaster and ordnance units to provide equipment, armament and ammunition; a signal unit works to allow all these actors to speak with each others; and every infantry division had a band attached.
Key to symbols
Thorough the war, the division received support from specialized units that were attached for a period to the division, and received their order from the Divisional Headquarters. Some of them stayed for a while attached to the 9th Infantry Division, like the 746th Tank Battalion or the 899th Tank Destroyer Battalion.
(See Attachments part)
All these units had to work together in order to achieve the division's mission. An infantry division was strong from 10,000 to 14,000 men, and when deployed, such an organization could be spread into a large area. Communications were the key to work efficiently. Each subunit's headquarters had a radio codename, all starting by the same letter : N, like Ninth !
The table below shows you the Distinctive Insignia of each subunit of the division, with their radio codeword. All these insignias are original metal insignias, supposed to be pinned to the garrison cap and the service coat's colar, during the early years of the War.