German relics from the battle

The Battle of Monceau-Imbrechies involved few companies of the 60th Infantry Regiment, and a German battalion-size force that was entrenched in and around the village of Macon, down the ridge of Imbrechies.

It was around 11:30 that Saturday, 2 September 1944, when the German artillery (116. Panzer Division – Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 146) started to shell the ridge of Imbrechies, where soldiers from Able Company – 60th Infantry were observed.

A German Command Car went up the hill and was immediately hit by a M8 of the 9th Reconnaissance Platoon that was standing on the ridge. Four German soldiers were its passengers. The two rear-passengers tried to hide behind the embankment, but got killed by the .50 Cal of the M8. The driver escaped the car to run away back to Macon, but the machinegun hit him, and did cut one of his legs. The last passenger understood, and surrendered. He is taken prisoner, and the wounded driver as well but will die few hours later.

From this skirmish, few relics remain, and are conserved at the Lieutenant Cook Museum.

The Command Car’s flag, which is a Wehrmarcht one (most likely from a unit of the 116. Panzer Division) stayed for days in the ditch where the car crashed, nearly intact still today.

A SS garrison cap found in the village of Macon, down the hill.

SS Dogtags found on a killed SS after the battle, belonging to the SS 329, 8th Company, SS-Regiment Deutschland, 2nd SS Panzerdivision.

A belt which seems to be a World War One German Army one, that was taken off the prisoner by members of the 60th Infantry Regiment.

Finally, the Prisoner Tag, written by a soldiers of the 60th Infantry Regiment, that finally stayed on the ridge before locals found it and conserved it.

All these memorabilias are displayed at the Lieutenant Cook Museum, as relics of the battlefield…